About Us      In July 1871, the organization of the Evangelical Lutheran St. Paul Congregation, Alpena, Michigan, took place in the home of Mr. Carl Sans, 128 Saginaw Street.
The Congregation was organized under the leadership of The Rev. Herman Bruekner, Sr., who conducted services in a school building on South Second Ave. (This site later became the site of the large Alpena Central School.)
Eventually, the land on which the congregation erected the necessary church buildings was a gift from Deacon Hitchcock and the Potter Family. The land was located at the corner of Second Ave and Mirre Street.
The first church was a simple 20x40 frame building. The second church was dedicated on July 25, 1881, with dimensions of 24 1/2 x 50. In 1889 the congregation started to build the third church, increasing the size to 48x78. The third church was dedicated on November 2, 1890óReformation Sunday.
On Maundy Thursday, March 29, 1923, a fire completely destroyed the church building. The total loss was estimated at $35,000 which was partially covered by insurance. Easter services and later services were held in the Grace Norwegian Church on Dunbar Street. After St. Paulís parish house had been completed, the auditorium was used for church services. The parish house auditorium was temporarily dedicated by Pastor Moritz Brueckner on Christmas Eve, 1923.
A cornerstone for the new structure was laid on July 6, 1925, and dedication services were held on December 5, 1926. The cost of the new building was about $85,000.
In 1962 a three-story building was constructed to house the 500 plus Sunday School children at the cost of $250,000. Also at this time a bond issue was approved to finance a long-range program. In 1989 a major renovation project of $500,000 was undertaken on the sanctuary and bell tower. The project was extended over five years and no interest was paid.
St. Paul has seen at least five members of the congregation become ministers.
Twenty-one (21) pastors, and several interns have served the congregation.
St. Paul Lutheran Church is a congregation of the ELCA.